18. Scams, scams, scams

As we arrive in Suez I am ready to jump on a bus to Cairo. I will be on my way to see the pyramids and the Egyptian museum. Kosta has already seen them and will drive down to Luxor, where I will join him.

First I need to get on a bus. A guy tells me it is 50 EP. Now, I might not known the bus prices but I’m not stupid. No way a two hour bus ride is 50. Helped by a guy from the gas station who stops a bus for me I hop on and end up paying less than a third of the price. When we arrive two hours later I can’t imagine having travelled the world by public transport. My goodness, the lack of space on a bus! I had already forgotten about those trips where I felt cramped, where I could smell the toilets on the bus and where I was more than happy to get of the bus!

Before heading towards the hostel I make my way down to the train station. I want to buy the ticket to Luxor as soon a possible as they advice to book the train a day in advance. And as traffic is crazy in Egypt, I prefer to go on a way of transportation that can hold its course. LOL While I’m walking to the ticket booth, an officer of transport police asks me where I go. “To platform 11 to get my ticket to Luxor.” He walks along with me, asking me all kind of questions I don’t understand or pretend not to understand (you know, like if I travel alone, where my husband is,…). Anyway, as I get at the ticket booth they tell me the train is sold out. “Ok”, I say, I will take the bus”. As there is an alternative I feel no need to stand there and loose time… time the guy behind the counter and the officer probably wanted to ‘help me’ to get on that train. As I learned at the hostel, this was part of their scam: the guy at the counter tells you that there are no seats left. The officer will then try to talk to him so he searches a bit further. And bingo, look at that, there is still a seat left! Then you thank the officer with a bit of baksheesh (tip)… But as I like to get a move on, I did not give them the time to continue their scam. I just turned around and left, thanking the officer for his help (how ironic). The guys at the hostel got me a ticket. Of course I paid for that service but at least I made that choice myself. : )


Next day I am off to go and see the pyramids, the only remaining Wonder of the Ancient World. I take a local bus to get there. You will not be surprised if I tell you that someone just jumped on the bus to tell me that the area at the pyramids is very big and if I want a camel… Half an hour later I see them from a distance, emerging between the houses of the suburbs of Giza. You might think the pyramids are located somewhere far in the desert, but oh no, this World Wonder is part of the view of many apartments and houses of Egyptians.

After having passed the ticket control an Egyptian asks to see my ticket. He says he works for the government and that he is there to help me not to get harassed by the many men with camels/horses/postcards or whatever they offer. Now, I admit, I have trust issues. If someone tries to help me, I ask myself why. If someone offers me something, I think to myself “where is the catch?”. I am a great believer of hidden agendas. Nothing comes for free, especially when you travel. So, this is how it goes: he takes my ticket, I ask for it back. He says his colleague will walk with me and gives him my ticket. I take it back from that guy (he holds it firmly but this is MY ticket and I will hold on to it, ‘free’ guide or not - I'm guessing holding on to your ticket is a way for touts to make you follow them). So I tell him '”Fine, if you want to walk next to me you just do that”. By then I am already annoyed and when I start to be in a bad mood, I admit I am not the friendliest of travellers anymore. So he walks with me and begins telling me about the pyramids. I interrupt him. “Listen, if you want to walk with me, fine, but don’t speak to me. I want to enjoy this in silence.” Of course he does not shut up. I tell him I will walk on my own, it is not like I am not allowed to walk alone. Again I admit, this was not in the friendliest of tones but trust me, these hawks only understand that way of talking. He leaves but quickly adds that if I want to go on a camel I blablabla… I am already not listening anymore LOL. This is how they try to get you in a camel or for sure ask you baksheesh after giving you info on the pyramids. Never trust Egyptians who deal with tourists... without LOL. ;)


In all honesty, the pyramids are great and I think the sphinx is fantastic to see but it gets a bit annoying when you are asked about a hundred times if you want to sit on a camel, in a carriage or on a horse. If you want postcards, or maybe this or that ugly thing. When they ask you over and over again where you’re from, what your name is. I don’t mind when children ask my name, but I don’t really like it when a camel owner hears it and afterwards starts calling for me from 20 meters away. "Katriiiiiiiin, Katriiiiiiiiin". Nice one. LOL

Anyway, after having seen the museum in town as well, I am more than ready to leave this busy city and join Kosta and The Cruiser again.

2 comments: