37. Swaziland

It does sound a bit like an amusement park but Swaziland is actually a real country! With its 17.364 sq km it is one of the smallest countries of the continent. As it is not a detour on our route, and to be honest as we have done no preparation at all and don’t really have decided what to do next, we drive kind of automatically to this little kingdom. And what a nice drive it is! No regrets of coming here. It is not really the most exceptional country we have been to but the atmosphere is super laid-back, the people are friendly and the surroundings are beautiful. So after a lazy afternoon with some time spend at the hot springs, we set off for another hike in Ezulwini. We decide to hike up ‘Sheeba’s breast’, a double rock peak named after the Ethiopian Queen of Sheba who seduced King Solomon. It is one of the highest points in the region here and so for us a reason to go and climb it.

IMG_7090

Nasty tree

I have to admit though, I am not in the best shape of my life. Instead of walking to everywhere and carrying a backpack from here to there like we used to do as backpackers, I enjoy the life of a true car-user at its best. So yes, I am out of shape and no, I don’t make it up a mountain without breaking a sweat. LOL But I am not a quitter and although it is very tempting to give up halfway this strenuous path, I don’t. ‘Cos when the going gets tough, the tough get going! So I tell Kosta to go ahead of me as he is quicker and I start to climb (and I mean climb) up this bloody mountain on my own, at my own pace. 20 minutes after Kosta I arrive sound and safe and sweating like a (princess) pig at the top. Time for a rewarding view and the ‘snickers sandwich’ to go along with it!

IMG_7105

Suffering on the way up

IMG_7113

No comments:

Post a Comment